Container shipping Hamburg to Takoradi
Are you interested in a way to ship a container from Hamburg to Takoradi (GHTKD)? Sea freight is very useful: you can ship many goods for an attractive price, it’s transparant and you can track the cargo in real time. Transporting a sea container with break bulk or factory parts can be done via e.g. TS Lines. You can book many different types of shipping containers. Shipping lines offer the choice between full containers (FCL) and a shared container (LCL). Via our experts you will find useful information with a view to international transport Takoradi (GH TKD). We provide you with inside-information about how to choose a suitable container for your freight. You will also find a practical step-by-step plan. Mail us with your needs and we will prepare a quote with the best rates and fastest transit times.
- Ocean shipping is a smart, trustworthy and affordable way to ship heavy and bulky goods.
- Advantages compared to air freight: there are fewer restrictions and lower emissions.
- Sea freight is great for worldwide movings and transporting fruit or equipment.
- The Port of Takoradi is one of the most important ports in Ghana.
- You can choose from many types and sizes of containers: twenty footers, forty footers and Insulated, Hard-Top, Dry Van, Tank, Refrigerated, Open-Top containers.
- International shipping to harbor Takoradi from Hamburg (Germany)
- How to export a container in October 2022
- Choose your container
- Overview freight types for ocean shipping
- FAQ: frequently asked questions and answers regarding international transport
Shipping to Takoradi (GHTKD) from Hamburg (DEHAM)
Ocean freight shipping is a reliable way of large-volume transportation. Your products are wrapped up in shipping containers. The freight forwarder (intermediary) will reserve a container for you. The cargo is transported by truck to the shipping vessel at the port of departure Takoradi (GH TKD), and will be shipped by ocean to the recipient at the POD. They can get you services like port-to-door, door-to-door, port-to-port, door-to-port. In the next section you will find some basic data of the POD (Port Of Destination).
|Port of departure||Port of Hamburg (DEHAM)|
|Country of departure||Germany|
|Port of destination||Port of Takoradi|
|Country of destination||Ghana|
|Transportation time||+/- 20 days|
|Office address||PO Box 708, Takoradi, Ghana|
Freight Forwarder Hamburg – port of Takoradi
- Shipment details
Enter the origin of shipment and the destination harbor. Specify your preference: (FCL) Full Container Load or (LCL) Less Container Load. Find a container size that fits your goods (20-ft, 40-ft of a high cube).
- Pack you load
To begin, you need to make sure your load is packed correctly. To prevent damage, make sure everything is securely placed on pallets. Also make sure you have good labels.
- Documents Required for Exporting
When you import goods from Takoradi (GHTKD), you need to share up-to-date export documents (for the national customs): packing declaration, commercial invoice, export/import customs declaration, bill of lading, packing list. A Bill of Lading is a standard-form document that is provided to the shipper describing the correct state of goods and noticing that the cargo is well packed for transport.
- Choosing the Incoterms
Incoterms are suitable terms in the transport-market to define the rights and obligations of both the buyer and seller. The agreed Incoterm determines who will pay for things like transport, insurance and duty related matters. The most common incoterms are Ex Works (EXW), Delivery Duty Paid (DDP), Free On Board (FOB).
- Track and Trace shipment
Use sea freight tracking to check where your shipping is at this moment. You will get a notification when the ship is registered at the POO (port of load), arrived at Port of delivery (POD) and when it has arrived at the final destination.
Sea freight from Takoradi (GHTKD) to Hamburg (DEHAM): select your container type
Are you planning to ship a container from port of Takoradi – (GH TKD) to port of Hamburg – (DE HAM)? An important starting point is to find the right container type. There are smaller and bigger boxes (20-ft, 40-ft) and all kind of container conditions (LCL shipping or FCL shipment). We cooperate with several international shipping lines. There is a good connection to important cities in the area. In the next chapter we put everything together and offer information about the most popular boxes. You may also like: Incoterms.
Information and benefits of 20 foot container
Twenty Foot Containers (a.k.a. dry van) is the most commonly used size. They are easy to stack, so the transport costs are quite low. Ideal for the transportation of bulk goods and furniture or international movings. Some extra info: TEU is a standard measurement of volume in container shipping and means 1 20 Foot container.
- This box is a very suitable choice for the transportation of cargo via ocean shipments.
- The size of a 20-foot container is: 5,9 x 2,4 x 2,4 meter.
- Usually, 9-11 pallets are able to fit in one TEU.
- The maximum load is about +/- 27.500 kg.
Details of a forty foot container
The 40 foot container is the largest of the standard shipping containers. He can hold much more cargo. It is especially intended for transporting bulk goods by sea. Good to know: there exist a bigger and higher ‘high cube’ box. It is about one foot taller than a normal box. This ensures that your cargo/goods can be loaded higher.
- Used for dry freight of all kinds.
- The dimensions of a 40-foot container are: 12031 x 2346 x 2383 mm.
- The Forty Foot Equivalent Unit (FEU) can hold 20-24 pallets.
- In terms of weight fits maximum: +/- 28.000 kilogram.
Ocean Freight Volume Calculator: get a free quote
Get the most updated container prices from main carriers
When do i need a Full Container Load (FCL)?
I case you are going to ship a lot of stuff, then it is usually better to book a full container. Within the logistics sector this is called FCL (Full Container Load). You don’t need to share your container with anyone else. The advantages are great: Usually a faster transit time, less risk of damage during the logistics process and it’s more cost-effective. Important to mention: it is not efficient for small cargo types and the financial risk is much greater. There are also other departure ports. See for example Antwerp to Takoradi (GHTKD) or Rotterdam to Takoradi (GHTKD).
- FCL means that your goods are stored in a fully owned container.
- Load directly from factory or storage.
- For shipments that are larger than 10 CBM.
- Available at: e.g. Maersk, MSC, Hapag-Lloyd, CMA CGM, ONE.
What does LCL container mean in shipping?
If a large full container is unnecessary, inquire about the possibilities for a shared container. Transport organizations describe that as Less Than Container Load (LCL). The concept of LCL is that shipments from various parties are combined to fill up one container. There are many positive aspects to mention like: for smaller loads, it is way cheaper than a full container, you spend less on inventory warehousing space and easy time-management and scheduling. Disclaimer: if you have a cargo load that is more than half a container unit, then FCL is probably your best bet. The shipping rates are based on shipping dimensions, weight, and number of pieces.
- The premise of LCL is that you reserve space in a partial container.
- An excellent choice for cargo volumes between 2 m3 & 16,5 m3.
- Cost-effective for freight forwarders with smaller shipment volumes.
- Wide availability in all months of the year.
- Available at: e.g. Yang Ming, ZIM, Evergreen, POL, Wan Hai.
Alternative container types
The range of boxes is very varied for ocean transport. Each type of cargo needs a different solution. The Dry van is suitable for many common goods. There are also special possibilities for liquid bulk, wheat, barley and cocoa or very exclusive stuff. We explain everything below. We also provide more information about sea transportation to Tokyo (JPTYO), port of Shibushi (JPSBS), Greenock Ocean Terminal (GBGRK) harbor and terminal Walvis Bay (NAWVB).
- Bulk Containers: used in for transporting bulk cargo like wheat, rice and corn.
- Flat Rack Containers: a flat rack only has walls or support post on the ends.
- Hard-Top Containers: a specialized version of general dry van (with special roof).
- High-Cube Containers: perfect when some extra height is required.
- Insulated Containers: ideal for Short-Term Storage or Short-Hop Journeys.
- Open-Top Containers: the top is open and is covered with a strong rubber tarpaulin rather than a solid roof.
- Palletwide Containers: more popular and common in the European continent.
- Refrigerated Containers: reefers are ideal for moving temperature-sensitive cargo.
- Tank Containers: for the transport of liquids, gases and powders as bulk cargo.
- Ventilated Containers: ventilation is provided by openings in the top and bottom side rails.
Load types: What do you want to ship?
Exporting stuff by sea from Hamburg (DEHAM) to Takoradi (GHTKD) has lots of advantages: low prices, it is effective for large quantities of goods and very flexible. The most important ocean cargo via sea import/export routes are: break bulk, containerized, liquid bulk, neo bulk, dry bulk. Below you will find a brief summary.
- Car shipping: you can ship your vehicle practically anywhere in the world.
- House Moving: choose reliable transport options for personal items (relocation).
- Removals (Household Goods): your household effects are shipped in a fast and secure manner.
- Liquid Bulk: e.g. hydrogen, gasoline, kerosene, chemicals, petroleum, diesel.
- Dry Bulk: grain, iron ore, grain and plates, sand, salt, sugar.
- Roll on Roll off (RORO): a type of shipping that is used for transporting things such as vehicles.
- Breakbulk: refers to goods that are stowed on board ship in individually counted units.
- Retail & other: load like clothes, art and antiques, toys, sports equipment, medical/pharmacy or food, furniture, fashion, drinks, shoes.
FAQ: questions and answers about international transport
Shipping a container from Hamburg (DE) to Takoradi takes about 20 days. The distance between the two ports is about 4650 nautical miles. 1 NM is about 1.85 km. The total distance is 8612 km. When you ship a sea container, you will receive updates about the ETD and ETA. ETD means the expected departure time of the vessel. ETA is the date that the shipment arrives in the destination country. The shipping time is determined on the basis of draft and speed, weather conditions and delay at the port.
Shipping rates from Hamburg (Germany) to Takoradi (Ghana) are slightly above average. The total sum is determined by various components as cargo type, the total distance to the delivery destination and other costs like stacking and siting. Please contact us for a completely free, no-obligation quote today.
When you are sending goods to Takoradi, then you should also think about customs clearance. The following documents are required: Insurance Certificate, Bill of Lading, Packing List, Certificate of Origin, Commercial Invoice, Letter of Credit. For more information, please contact the customs of Ghana or navigate to the website of the port or the government (www.ghanaports.gov.gh/).
Incoterms define the conditions under which the products must be exported. For transport by ship we usually use FOB and CIF. Cost, Insurance and Freight (CIF) means the exporter pays for the transportation to the port of destination. Content of a Free on Board (FOB) contract: the seller must arrange all processes concerning the goods until they have been placed on board of the ship. Other Incoterms 2000 you can choose from are: Ex Works (EXW), Free Alongside Ship (FAS), Delivered Duty Paid (DDP), Carriage Paid To (CPT) & Delivered at Place Unloaded (DPU), Cost and Freight (CFR), Delivered At Place (DAP).