Container shipping Hamburg to Surabaya
Do you need to ship a container from Hamburg to Surabaya (IDSUB)? Sea freight is very useful: large items can be shipped for competitive rates, it’s transparant and it is trustworthy. Transporting a sea container with liquid bulk or personal goods is easy with shippinglines like Sinokor Merchant Marine. When you want to forward a container, you can choose from various types of containers. An important point of attention is full containers (FCL) and Less Container Load (LCL). Via our freight forwarders you will find accurate information regarding international transport Surabaya (ID SUB). You can read practical information about how to choose a suitable container for your freight. Besides this we share a 5 step export plan. Provide us with your transport details and we will gladly send you a tailor-made offer with the best rates and fastest transit times.
- Ocean shipping is a quick, staunch and inexpensive way to ship heavy and bulky goods.
- Advantages compared to air freight: you have lower costs and more time for document processing.
- Sea freight is excellent for international removals and exporting breakbulk or motorbikes.
- The Port of Surabaya is an important hub in Indonesia.
- We handle a wide variety of container sizes including: normal 20 & 40 foot, High Cube and Dry Van, Hard-Top, Flat Rack, Ventilated, Refrigerated, Tank containers.
- Ocean shipping to harbor Surabaya from Hamburg (Germany)
- How to export a container in September 2023
- Match your cargo with container type
- Overview with cargo types
- All you need to know about international transport (FAQ)
Shipping to Surabaya (IDSUB) from Hamburg (DEHAM)
Ocean freight shipping is the most economical mode of global transportation. Your products are loaded into the container. The freight forwarder (the middleman) will reserve a container for you. A truck transports the cargo to the shipping vessel at the port of Surabaya (ID SUB), and will be shipped over the ocean to the terminal at the port of destination. There are different kind of options: port-to-port, door-to-door, door-to-port or port-to-door. In the schedule below we provide you with details about the port of discharge.
|Port of departure||Port of Hamburg (DEHAM)|
|Country of departure||Germany|
|Port of destination||Port of Surabaya|
|Country of destination||Indonesia|
|Transportation time||+/- 39 days|
|Port address||Jl. Tanjung Mutiara 1, Surabaya 60177, Indonesia|
Freight Forwarder Hamburg – port of Surabaya
- Details of your shipping
Enter the departing port and destination of shipment. Determine the desired transport method: FCL (Full Container Load) or Less Container Load (LCL). Also choose the dimensions of the container (twenty foot, forty foot or a high cube).
- Loading the freight
First of all, your load need to be prepared in the right way. To prevent damage, we advise you to use pallets. Your load also need to be labelled in the right way.
- Common Export Documents
When exporting cargo to Surabaya (IDSUB), you will need up-to-date export documents (for the purpose of national customs): certificates of origin, packing declaration, commercial invoice, bill of lading, export/import customs declaration. A Bill of Lading is a required document that is completed by a carrier to confirm the goods have been received in good order and that everything is ready to ship.
- Agree on the conditions (Incoterms)
Freight forwarders make us of incoterms to define the seller’s and buyer’s responsibilities. The Incoterm states who is the risk-bearing party for transport, insurance and duty related matters. Popular incoterms are Free On Board (FOB), Cost, Insurance Freight (CIF), Ex Works (EXW).
- Online Container & Freight Tracking System
Use the Ocean Shipment Tracking to check where your freight is at this moment. They will send you a mail when the cargo is departed from the port of origin (POO), arrived at Port of delivery (POD) and when the carrier arrived at the final location.
Sea freight from Surabaya (IDSUB) to Hamburg (DEHAM): select the container that suits the freight
You want to export goods and ship a container from port of Surabaya – (ID SUB) to port of Hamburg – (DE HAM)? It is important to book the right container for your cargo. You can choose from large and small sizes (20-ft, 40-ft) and all kind of container conditions (LCL shipping or FCL shipment). Some main shipping lines are APL, CMA CGM, Evergreen, Hamburg Sud, Hanjin, K Line, MOL, MSC, OOCL. Well-known cities around the harbor are Surabaya, Kamal, Gresik, Kebomas, Waru, Gempol, Taman, Bangkalan, Gedangan, Buduran, Driyorejo, Mojosari, Sidoarjo, Sooko, Tanggulangin, Tulangan, Porong, Krian, Lamongan, Bangil. In the next section we put everything together and offer information about the most commonly seen options for sea freight. You can also click through to our page about 20-foot Container.
Explanation about a 20ft container
Twenty Foot Containers (a.k.a. dry van) is the most commonly type for shipment in ocean freight. They are easy to stack, that means they are quite cheap. Suitable for different kinds of storage including personal effects or international movings. Pro tip: TEU is equal to 1 20 Foot container.
- This box is widely used for sending goods with transport ships.
- A 20-foot container is described in terms of size as: L – 5.89M. W – 2.35M. H – 2.23M.
- A 20 foot holds 11 pallets in one tier.
- The maximum load is about +/- 27.100 kg.
Important specifications of the 40ft container
In addition to the small one, there is also a larger 40 foot container. They can carry far more cargo at once. This makes it a very popular choice for transporting large loads by sea. What you may not know: 40ft containers are also available as ‘high cube’ edition. This is one foot taller than a regular 40 ft. This way cargo can be stacked high.
- Perfect for larger shipments.
- The dimensions are as follows: 12,0 x 2,4 x 2,3 m.
- It allows the transport of up to 28 pallets.
- Important: maximum load weight of +/- 28.200 kg.
Ocean Freight Rate Calculator: get shipping rates
Receive current shipping rates directly in your mailbox
When is a FCL container a good choice?
When you need a lot of container space, then you better book an exclusive private full container. Transport specialists call this Full Container Load (FCL). You don’t need to share space with others like LCL. This has multiple advantages: It guarantees a faster transit time, damage is lessened and you pay lower price per unit. There are of course also drawbacks: you need large volume to be viable and the financial risk is much greater. Do you want to send items from another port? Check also Antwerp to Surabaya (IDSUB) and Rotterdam to Surabaya (IDSUB).
- The premise of FCL is that an exporter is fully booking one or more shipping containers.
- Suitable for as many small items on pallets as large goods.
- For shipments that are larger than 10 CBM.
- Available at: e.g. CMA CGM, COSCO, ONE, Maersk, MSC.
What does LCL container mean in shipping?
When you have too little goods to fill a full container, your goods will be shipped with other cargo. Logistics experts treat that as a LCL (Less Than Container Load) agreement. The goal of LCL is that multiple shippers’ goods are packed together. You consciously opt for various benefits such as: you pay only for the volume you need, you can save on inventory costs and it is more flexible during peak-times. Notable: if you can fill more than half of a container, then it is usually more interesting to opt for FCL. LCL shipping charges are generally computed based on volume, usually in cubic meters (CBM).
- LCL means that you make use of a partial container for the transportation.
- A suitable choice for transport with a size between 2 m3 & 16 m3.
- Freight costs are typically based on cargo volume.
- Capabilities at almost all international ports.
- Available at: e.g. POL, Yang Ming, Wan Hai, HMM, Evergreen.
Various other types of containers
You can choose from many types of boxes for shipping your cargo. There is a suitable solution for every type of cargo. The most common type is the Dry van. Special boxes are also being used for oil, petroleum, and freshwater, flowers, fruit or high class goods. You can read more about it below. You can also look further at transport options in Gioia Tauro (ITGIT), port of Seattle (USSEA), Accra (GHACC) harbor and terminal Oslo (NOOSL).
- Bulk Containers: often used for dry bulk cargo like wheat and grains.
- Flat Rack Containers: it is flat and cargo can be loaded either from the sides or from the top.
- Hard-Top Containers: the walls are generally made of corrugated steel.
- High-Cube Containers: it is 1 foot taller than the standard height of shipping containers.
- Insulated Containers: are often used in the retail market (extra dry & great stable temperature).
- Open-Top Containers: for heavy goods which are difficult to be loaded sideways.
- Palletwide Containers: specially designed to accommodate more number of Euro-pallets.
- Refrigerated Containers: reefers are ideal for moving temperature-sensitive cargo.
- Tank Containers: ideal for transport and distribution of bulk liquids.
- Ventilated Containers: ventilation is provided by openings in the top and bottom side rails.
Main types of ocean freight: What do you want to ship?
Transporting cargo by ocean from Hamburg (DEHAM) to Surabaya (IDSUB) has many benefits: attractive tariffs, there are lots of different shipping options and containers can also be used for further transportation by road or rail. The most important ocean cargo transported by sea include: liquid bulk, break bulk, containerized, roll on/roll off, neo bulk. You can read more about it in the section below.
- Car shipping: a professional company ships your vehicle internationally.
- House Moving: get your private goods shipped for relocation.
- Removals (Household Goods): all your household effects shipped inexpensive and insured.
- Liquid Bulk: e.g. hydrogen, gasoline, chemicals, petroleum, biofuels, diesel.
- Dry Bulk: iron ore, coal, grain and things like sand, cement, plates, coils.
- Roll on Roll off (RORO): a combination of road and sea transport for wheeled cargo.
- Breakbulk: common method used to successfully transport cargo or goods that cannot fit in standard-size shipping.
- Retail & other: freight like art and antiques, toys, sports equipment, medical/pharmacy, electronic goods & fashion, food, shoes, furniture, drinks.
FAQ: frequently asked questions and answers regarding international transport
Shipping a container from Hamburg (DE) to Surabaya takes on average 39 days. The ship has to cover a distance of about 9100 nautical miles. This is roughly equivalent to 16853 kilometers. In case of sea freight, you have to pay close attention to ETD and ETA. ETD means the date and time the vessel will leave the dock. ETA is the date that the shipment arrives in the destination country. The shipping time is determined on the basis of the speed of the boat, weather and delay at the port.
Shipping rates from Hamburg (Germany) to Surabaya (Indonesia) are relatively cheap. The actual costs are determined by various components as the size of the container, shipping route and local handling fees. Send us a message for the best rates and current transit times.
When transporting goods to Surabaya, then there are some important customs clearance documents. You will need the following documentation: Packing List, Letter of Credit, Commercial Invoice, Import/export Licenses, Bill of Lading, Insurance Certificate. For additional information, then we advise you to contact the customs of Indonesia or view the website of the port/government (www.tps.co.id).
Incoterms describe the rights and obligations of both seller and buyer. Common used agreement models for international container shipping are CIF and FOB. Cost, Insurance and Freight (CIF) means the exporter arranges the costs of transporting the cargo to the named port of destination. With Free on Board (FOB), we mean that the seller must arrange everything regarding the cargo till the moment that it’s all loaded into the vessel. Other Incoterms 2000 you can choose from are: Delivered Duty Paid (DDP), Carriage Paid To (CPT), Free Carrier (FCA), Ex Works (EXW) + Delivered At Place (DAP), Carriage and Insurance Paid To (CIP), Delivered at Place Unloaded (DPU).