Container shipping Antwerp to Surabaya
You want to ship a container from Antwerp to Surabaya (IDSUB)? Sea freight offers many opportunities: it is suitable to ship large volumes for low prices, it is flexible and it has live tracking. Shipping a container with sea freight such as container cargo or personal goods is easy with shippinglines like Matson. When you want to forward a container, you can choose from all kind of containers. A big difference is being made between a full container for yourself (FCL) and partial shipments (LCL). Via our experts you will find up-to-date information regarding international transport Surabaya (ID SUB). We share knowledge and inside-information about the different types of sea containers. You will also find a step-by-step export plan. Please send us an inquiry with your requirements and we will prepare a quote with great prices and shipping conditions.
- Ocean shipping is a reliable, trouble-free and relatively cheap way to export or import international containers.
- When you compare it with air shipments, there are fewer restrictions and it is far cheaper.
- Sea freight is ideal for international movings and the transportation of break bulk or cars and other vehicles.
- The Port of Surabaya is one of the most important ports in Indonesia.
- Popular container types are: twenty footers, forty footers and Hard-Top, Insulated, Dry Van, Ventilated, Tank, Refrigerated containers.
- Shipment to harbor Surabaya from Antwerp (Belgium)
- Tutorial: Export a container abroad in March 2023
- Choose the appropriate container
- Overview with cargo types
- FAQ: everything you need to know about international transport
Shipping to Surabaya (IDSUB) from Antwerp (BEANR)
Ocean freight shipping is a reliable way of large-volume transportation. Your products are packed tightly in a container. The freight forwarder (the middleman) have a special container prepared. The freight goes by truck to the shipping vessel at the port of departure (POD) Surabaya (ID SUB), and will be shipped overseas to the recipient at the arrival port. They provide you options like port-to-port, door-to-port, door-to-door, port-to-port. In the attached table we share facts about the port of delivery.
|Port of departure||Port of Antwerp (BEANR)|
|Country of departure||Belgium|
|Port of destination||Port of Surabaya|
|Country of destination||Indonesia|
|Transit Time||+/- 37 days|
|Port address||Jl. Tanjung Mutiara 1, Surabaya 60177, Indonesia|
Freight Forwarder Antwerp – port of Surabaya
- Information about your freight
Enter the port of origin and the arrival port. Choose if you want to ship full containers (FCL) or partial shipments (LCL). Also choose the size of the container (20-ft, 40-ft of a high cube).
- Loading and labeling the freight
As a starting point, make sure the freight is packed securely. To limit damage, we advise you to use pallets. Tip: make sure you have recognizable labels on the freight.
- Documents Required for Exporting
If you want to send cargo to Surabaya (IDSUB), you will need various export documents (for the national customs): commercial invoice, bill of lading, export/import customs declaration, packing declaration, certificates of origin. A Bill of Lading is a standard-form document issued by the carrier or agent confirming goods were received in an acceptable condition and noticing that the cargo is well packed for transport.
- Determine the transfer of risk (Incoterm)
Freight forwarders make us of incoterms to define the rights and obligations of both the buyer and seller. The chosen Incoterm decides who bears responsibility for e.g. transport, insurance and duty related matters. These are the most commonly chosen terms in sea freight: Cost, Insurance Freight (CIF), Free On Board (FOB), Ex Works (EXW).
- Online Container & Freight Tracking System
Use container track and trace to see where your freight is at this moment. They will send you a mail when the load is departed from the port of origin (POO), arrived at the port of arrival (POD) and when your cargo has been unloaded at the final destination.
Sea freight from Surabaya (IDSUB) to Antwerp (BEANR): choosing a suitable container
You received an order and want to ship a container from port of Surabaya – (ID SUB) to port of Antwerp – (BE ANR)? Compare the options and book the right container for your cargo. They come in different sizes (20ft & 40ft) and all kind of container conditions (FCL shipping or LCL shipment). Some main shipping lines are APL, CMA CGM, Evergreen, Hamburg Sud, Hanjin, K Line, MOL, MSC, OOCL. Well-known cities around the harbor are Surabaya, Kamal, Gresik, Kebomas, Waru, Gempol, Taman, Bangkalan, Gedangan, Buduran, Driyorejo, Mojosari, Sidoarjo, Sooko, Tanggulangin, Tulangan, Porong, Krian, Lamongan, Bangil. In the following summary you can read all important information about the most common sizes and types. Also click further for information about Insurance Certificate or Policy.
Explanation about a 20 FT container
20. ft. containers (also known under the name dry van) is the most commonly type for shipment in ocean freight. They are relatively easy to ship, which results in lower shipping costs. Particularly suitable for the transport of personal items or international removals. Keep in mind: TEU is equal to 1 20 Foot container.
- This box offers a solution for transporting cargo by sea.
- A 20-foot container has the following dimensions: 6,06 x 2,44 x 2,59.
- The container can be loaded with 11 pallets.
- You must take into account a maximum permitted weight of +/- 27.700 kilogram.
What you need to know about the forty foot container
Besides the 20-foot, the 40-foot container is another popular option. He can hold much more cargo. This makes it a very popular choice for shipping large quantities of goods. What you may not know: you can also opt for a taller ‘high cube’ choice. You’ve got just a little extra height. Ideal for tall items.
- They are ideal for big shipments.
- In terms of format, this type comes out to: 12,2 x 2,44 x 2,59 meter.
- The 40’ft container can hold up to 24 EU pallets.
- The maximum load is +/- 28.200 kilogram.
Ocean Freight Rate Calculator: 40 / 20 Ft Sea Container Shipping Cost
Instantly get the current rates of all major shipping lines
What does FCL container mean in shipping?
When you need a lot of container space, then renting a full container is the most interesting. Freight forwarders then refer to it as FCL (Full Container Load). All cargo space is used exclusively for you. There are many advantages to it: ideal transit time, chance of damage is reduced to a minimum and and it is cheaper per unit. Of course there are also downsides: the transport over land is more complex (truck) and the financial risk is much greater. Another departure port? Also check Rotterdam to Surabaya (IDSUB) and Hamburg to Surabaya (IDSUB).
- The meaning of FCL is: you have the entire container space to yourself.
- Load directly from factory or storage.
- Relevant when you are sending more than 15 m3.
- Available at: e.g. ONE, CMA CGM, Hapag-Lloyd, MSC, COSCO.
Information about Less than container (LCL)
If you want to transport a small cargo by sea, then your freight will be bundled with other freights. Transport organizations describe that as Less Than Container Load (LCL). The meaning of LCL is: multiple shippers’ goods are packed together. You benefit from many advantages: you can save money on smaller shipments, storage and insurance is advantageous and it is more flexible during peak-times. Worth mentioning: if your shipment takes up more than half a container, then FCL is probably a more favorable choice. LCL cost is calculated by shipping dimensions, weight, and number of pieces.
- The concept of LCL is that your cargo is shipped in a partial container.
- A suitable choice for transport with a size between 3 m3 – 14 m3.
- You just pay for the used volume of the full container.
- There is always sufficient availability (every season).
- Available at: e.g. POL, ZIM, Wan Hai, Yang Ming, HMM.
What other types of containers are there
There is a wide range of boxes for shipping your cargo. Each type of cargo needs a different solution. The Dry van is the variant that most people will recognize. Besides this, there are also applications for oil or petroleum, onions, potatoes, vegetables or very expensive items. We’ve explained it all below. You can also read more information about shipments to Douala (CMDLA), port of Hong Kong (HKHKG), Minneapolis (USMES) harbor and terminal Monrovia (LRMLW).
- Bulk Containers: used for transport of foodstuffs or bulk such as wheat, rice and corn.
- Flat Rack Containers: a flat rack only has walls or support post on the ends.
- Hard-Top Containers: equipped with a removable steel roof.
- High-Cube Containers: perfect for carrying larger sized cargo and storing bigger items.
- Insulated Containers: a type of packaging used to ship temperature sensitive products.
- Open-Top Containers: ideal for logs, machinery, and odd-sized items.
- Palletwide Containers: the ideal type for transporting many euro pallets.
- Refrigerated Containers: reefers are used for goods which need to be transported at a constant temperature.
- Tank Containers: for the transport of liquids, gases and powders as bulk cargo.
- Ventilated Containers: used to transport cargo with good moisture contents which requires ventilation while transit.
Main types of ocean cargo: What do you want to ship?
Transporting stuff by sea from Antwerp (BEANR) to Surabaya (IDSUB) has a lot of pluses: low cost, there are lots of different shipping options and eco-friendly. The most important ocean cargo shipped via sea routes are: dry bulk, neo bulk, liquid bulk, containerized, roll on/roll off. You can read more about it in the section below.
- Car shipping: shipping your vehicle to another part of a country or the other side of the world.
- House Moving: your international relocation will be less time-consuming and more efficient.
- Removals (Household Goods): have your household effects shipped to a new home.
- Liquid Bulk: e.g. chemicals, petroleum, biofuels, kerosene, gasoline, hydrogen.
- Dry Bulk: grain, coal, iron ore but also cement, salt, lumber, sand.
- Roll on Roll off (RORO): vessels designed to carry wheeled cargo.
- Breakbulk: are frequently packaged in smaller boxes: bags, boxes, cartons, crates, drums, or barrels/vats.
- Retail & other: products like art and antiques, electronic goods, clothes, medical/pharmacy, sports equipment and drinks, furniture, shoes, food, machines.
Everything about international transportation (FAQ)
Shipping a container from Antwerp (BE) to Surabaya takes approx 37 days. The distance to be covered is about 8750 nautical miles (nmi). This is equivalent to 16205 km. If you ship something by sea, there are 2 important values, ETD and ETA. ETD means the Estimated Time Of Departure. Estimated time of arrival (ETA) is the date and time that a shipment is predicted to arrive. The exact shipping time depends on the speed of the boat, wind force and wind direction and possible maintenance.
Shipping rates from Antwerp (Belgium) to Surabaya (Indonesia) are relatively cheap. The total cost depends on a number of factors like cargo dimension, period of the year and currency. Feel free to contact us for the best rates and current transit times.
When you are sending goods to Surabaya, then there are some important customs clearance documents. You will need the following documentation: Bill of Lading, Commercial Invoice, Import/export Licenses, Certificate of Origin, Packing List, Letter of Credit. If you are not sure whether you will be charged extra or not, then we advise you to contact the customs of Indonesia or take a look at the website (www.tps.co.id).
The Incoterms define the time and place from which the seller’s responsibility ends and the buyer’s begins. The most popular Incoterms for sea transport are CIF and FOB. CIF (Cost, Insurance and Freight) means the exporter bears responsibility for covering the costs, insurance, and freight of the buyer’s shipment while in transit to the port of destination specified by the buyer. Free on Board (FOB) means the supplier to pay for the delivery of the freight until all cargo is on the ship. One can also choose from one of the alternative Incoterms 2000: Delivered Duty Paid (DDP), Free Alongside Ship (FAS), Ex Works (EXW), Carriage Paid To (CPT) + Delivered At Place (DAP), Delivered at Place Unloaded (DPU), Cost and Freight (CFR).