Container shipping Rotterdam to Haiphong
Do you need to ship a container from Rotterdam to Haiphong (VNHPH)? Sea freight offers many opportunities: it is suitable to ship large volumes for low prices, it’s transparant and it is safe. Importing a container overseas with breakbulk or machinery can be arranged by shipping companies such as Global Feeder Shipping LLC. Freight forwarders offer all kind of containers. You have to choose between a full container for yourself (FCL) and partial shipments (LCL). Via our transport agents we provide lots of practical information for the purpose of international transport Haiphong (VN HPH). We provide extensive information about the different types of sea containers. For this we offer a step-by-step import plan. Share your cargo and transport wishes and we will gladly send you a tailor-made offer with market prices.
- Ocean shipping is a quick, trustworthy and affordable way to transport large and heavy loads.
- When we compare it to air transport, you can transport larger volumes for a better price.
- Sea freight is great for worldwide relocations and carrying refrigerated cargo or cars.
- The Port of Haiphong is an important logistics artery in Vietnam.
- Frequently used containers types are: 20 foot, 40 foot and Insulated, Hard-Top, Dry Van, Open-Top, Tank, Ventilated containers.
- Ship a container to harbor Haiphong from Rotterdam (Netherlands)
- Export plan in 5 steps in December 2022
- Find a container that suits your cargo
- Overview freight types for ocean shipping
- All you need to know about international transport (FAQ)
Shipping to Haiphong (VNHPH) from Rotterdam (NLRTM)
Ocean freight shipping is the most common way to transport cargo globally. Your products are transferred in shipping containers. The freight forwarder (intermediary) will arrange the container. The freight goes by truck to the shipping vessel at the port of origin Haiphong (VN HPH), and will be shipped by ocean to the importer at the arrival port. They can get you services like port-to-door, port-to-port, door-to-door, door-to-port. In the attached table we provide you with details about the port of destination.
|Port of departure||Port of Rotterdam (NLRTM)|
|Country of departure||Netherlands|
|Port of destination||Port of Haiphong|
|Country of destination||Vietnam|
|Transport Time||+/- 43 days|
|Local address||8A Tran Phu street Hai Phong city Vietnam|
Freight Forwarder Rotterdam – port of Haiphong
- Shipment details
Enter the port of departure and the arrival harbour. Specify your preference: (FCL) full containers or a partial filled container (LCL). You can also choose the size of the container (20ft, 40ft of 40ft HC).
- Loading the freight
Obviously, ensure the cargo is packed appropriately for carriage. To limit damage, it is a good idea to use pallets. You must also put a label on the freight.
- Common Export Documents
When you import cargo from Haiphong (VNHPH), please pay attention to the necessary up-to-date export documents (for the national customs): export/import customs declaration, certificates of origin, packing declaration, bill of lading, packing list. A Bill of Lading is a document or electronic invoice provided by a carrier to a shipper to acknowledge that they have received the goods and that the load is prepared for shipping.
- Determine the transfer of risk (Incoterm)
Incoterms are relevant terms for worldwide shipping to define the seller’s and buyer’s responsibilities. The Incoterm shows who is responsible for, for example, shipment, insurance, documentation and customs clearance. The most common incoterms are Delivery Duty Paid (DDP), Cost, Insurance Freight (CIF), Ex Works (EXW).
- Ocean freight tracking
Use container track and trace to see where your container is at this moment. You will get a notification when the cargo is registered at the POO (port of load), has arrived at the destination (POD) and when the cargo has reached its desired final destination.
Sea freight from Haiphong (VNHPH) to Rotterdam (NLRTM): select your container type
Are you planning to ship a container from port of Haiphong – (VN HPH) to port of Rotterdam – (NL RTM)? It is highly recommended to book the right container for your cargo. Based on your load you choose a size (20 ft, 40 ft) and different container specifications (FCL shipping or LCL shipping). Some main shipping lines are Evergreen, Hanjin. The port offers an excellent connection to Bac Giang, Bac Can. In the next chapter you can compare all types and read more about the most popular types in the maritime industry. You can also click through to our page about Rail Freight.
Explanation of the 20 ft container
20 foot containers (which is a standard dry van) is the most common and available size. They are very efficient, which results in lower shipping costs. Suitable for all types of cargo, including personal stuff and movings. Nice to know: TEU is equal to 1 20 Foot container.
- This box is widely used for the shipment of goods in ocean freight.
- A 20-foot container has the following dimensions: 5898 (l) x 2390 (h) x 2350 (w) mm.
- You can use 11 pallets on one tier.
- You can load it with maximum +/- 27.100 kilogram.
What you need to know about the forty foot container
The 40-foot container is identical to the 20-foot container, but once the size. They are very suitable for e.g. industrial goods and retail products. This makes it a popular choice for shipping large cargo by sea. What you may not know: there exist a bigger and higher ‘high cube’ variant. It has an exterior height of 9’6” (1 foot taller than normal). This ensures that your cargo/goods can be loaded higher.
- They are ideal for big shipments.
- It has the following dimensions: 12.19m long x 2.44m wide x 2.59m high.
- Up to 23 Europallets can be stuffed in a 40′ container.
- The maximum load is +/- 28.700 kg.
Ocean Freight Cost Calculator: get instant container shipping rates!
Receive current shipping rates directly in your mailbox
In which situations do I choose an FCL container?
f you have enough goods to fill one full container load, then you better book an exclusive private full container. Within the logistics sector this is called FCL (Full Container Load). You don’t have to share space with others. This has multiple advantages: ideal transit time, damage is lessened and it’s more cost-effective. There are of course also drawbacks: the transshipment is more complex and it can be a financial risk with a larger inventory. Departing from another port? Also check out Antwerp to Haiphong (VNHPH) and Hamburg to Haiphong (VNHPH).
- FCL means that your goods are stored in a fully owned container.
- Perfect for the transportation of large amounts.
- For shipments that are larger than 10 CBM.
- Available at: e.g. Hapag-Lloyd, COSCO, CMA CGM, MSC, ONE.
What does LCL container mean in shipping?
If your cargo does not fill an entire 20-foot or 40-foot container, it is often a good idea to pick a shared container. Transport specialists call this Less Than Container Load (LCL). The meaning of LCL is: you share the container with other importers. The advantages of this option include: you can save money on smaller shipments, you spend less on inventory space and it is more flexible during peak-times. Important: when you ship enough volume to fill more than half a container, then you better go for FCL. LCL cost is calculated by volume, usually in cubic meters (CBM).
- What we mean by LCL is that your cargo is shipped in a partial container.
- The best choice for a charge between 3,5 m3 & 16 m3.
- Deal for cargo that does not fill the entire container.
- More Availability During Peak Season.
- Available at: e.g. Yang Ming, POL, Wan Hai, Evergreen, HMM.
Other container types for special loads
There is a wide range of boxes for shipping your items. Shipping companies offer a suitable solution for every cargo type. A Dry van is the most common type of freight transportation. There are specially developed transport options for liquid bulk, vegetables and fruit or very expensive items. You can read all about it in the section below. You can also look further at transport options in New Orleans (USMSY), port of Haikou (CNHAK), Surabaya (IDSUB) harbor and terminal Vitoria (BRVIX).
- Bulk Containers: very suitable for dry bulk goods such as wheat, rice and corn.
- Flat Rack Containers: a flat rack only has walls or support post on the ends.
- Hard-Top Containers: the latter has a removable roof due to which the door header can be pivoted outside.
- High-Cube Containers: are similar in structure to standard boxes, but a little taller.
- Insulated Containers: ideal for bulk shipping and temporary storage of mixed products.
- Open-Top Containers: e.g. for Machinery require space for their tops to stick out.
- Palletwide Containers: specially designed to accommodate more number of Euro-pallets.
- Refrigerated Containers: reefers are ideal for cold storage like perishables, frozen goods and pharmaceutical products.
- Tank Containers: are used to deliver hazardous and non-hazardous products.
- Ventilated Containers: ventilation is provided by openings in the top and bottom side rails.
Important types of ocean cargo: what do you want to transport by sea?
Exporting load by ocean from Rotterdam (NLRTM) to Haiphong (VNHPH) has lots of advantages: attractive tariffs, it is effective for large quantities of goods and the Duty and VAT are much less expensive than air freight. The most important ocean cargo transported by sea include: neo bulk, liquid bulk, dry bulk, break bulk, containerized. Below you will find a brief summary.
- Car shipping: a professional company ships your vehicle internationally.
- House Moving: fast and cheap way for international relocations.
- Removals (Household Goods): have your household effects delivered quickly and reliably to another house.
- Liquid Bulk: e.g. biofuels, gasoline, chemicals, diesel, hydrogen, petroleum.
- Dry Bulk: coal, grain, iron ore and sand, coils, cement, salt.
- Roll on Roll off (RORO): vessel has facilities to enable road or rail vehicles to roll on and roll off.
- Breakbulk: refers to goods that are stowed on board ship in individually counted units.
- Retail & other: items like sports equipment, electronic goods, medical/pharmacy, toys, clothes or shoes, machines, furniture, drinks, fashion.
FAQ: Frequently asked questions about international transport
Shipping a container from Rotterdam (NL) to Haiphong takes approximately 43 days. The distance to be covered is about 10200 nautical miles. That equates to 18890 km. When you have booked a sea freight there are 2 important values, ETD and ETA. ETD stands for Estimated time of departure of the ship or truck. ETA is the date that the shipment arrives in the destination country. Shipping time varies from case to case and depends on factors such as: displacement of the vessel, weather conditions and maintenance.
Shipping rates from Rotterdam (Netherlands) to Haiphong (Vietnam) are relatively cheap. The total cost is subject to various features such as the size of the container, season and freight forwarder handling fees. We invite you to contact us for a quote for your transport.
When you are exporting goods to Haiphong, then the customs clearance will also pass. The following documents should be provided: Insurance Certificate, Commercial Invoice, Letter of Credit, Packing List, Certificate of Origin, Bill of Lading. For questions or additional information, you can contact the customs of Vietnam or take a look at the website (vietnam.gov.vn).
Incoterms are a widely used system to define, simplify and clarify transactions between an exporter and an importer. For sea transportation, we usually use FOB and CIF. CIF (Cost, Insurance and Freight) means the exporter bears responsibility for the cost and freight of bringing the goods to the destination port of the buyer’s choosing. Free on Board (FOB) includes: the seller must arrange everything regarding the goods until they are on the vessel at the outbound port. Optionally one can also select one of the other Incoterms 2000 such as Ex Works (EXW), Carriage Paid To (CPT), Free Carrier (FCA), Delivered Duty Paid (DDP) and Delivered At Place (DAP), Delivered at Place Unloaded (DPU), Cost and Freight (CFR).