Container shipping Rotterdam to Takoradi
You are planning to ship a container from Rotterdam to Takoradi (GHTKD)? Sea freight is very useful: you can ship large volumes at low costs, it is flexible and it is eco-friendly. Importing a container overseas with gas-based fuels or equipment is easy with shippinglines like COSCO. They can get you and a wide range of container types. An important distinction is a complete full container (FCL) and (LCL) and partial shipments. Via our freight forwarders you will receive up-to-date information for international transport Takoradi (GH TKD). We offer practical information about the different types and ways of sea freight. For this we offer a 5 step export plan. Describe what you want to transport and receive a quote with an attractive price and fast transit time.
- Ocean shipping is a fast, secure and inexpensive way to ship your goods to the other side of the world.
- Compared to air freight, it has a better carbon footprint and it is cheaper.
- Sea freight is great for international relocations and carrying container cargo or consumer goods.
- The Port of Takoradi is one of the biggest ports of Ghana.
- Popular container types are: normal 20 & 40 foot, High Cube and Insulated, Hard-Top, Flat Rack, Open-Top, Refrigerated, Tank containers.
- Ship a container to harbor Takoradi from Rotterdam (Netherlands)
- Advice for exporting goods in August 2022
- Select your container type
- Which cargo types can I transport by sea?
- All you need to know about international transport (FAQ)
Shipping to Takoradi (GHTKD) from Rotterdam (NLRTM)
Ocean freight shipping is the most economical mode of global transportation. Your goods are wrapped up in shipping containers. The freight forwarder will reserve a container for you. A truck transports the cargo to the shipping vessel at the port of Takoradi (GH TKD), and will be shipped by ocean to the importer at the POD. There are different kind of options: port-to-door, port-to-port, door-to-door, door-to-port. In the attached table you will find some basic data of the POD (Port Of Destination).
|Port of departure||Port of Rotterdam (NLRTM)|
|Country of departure||Netherlands|
|Port of destination||Port of Takoradi|
|Country of destination||Ghana|
|Transit Time||+/- 19 days|
|Local address||PO Box 708, Takoradi, Ghana|
Freight Forwarder Rotterdam – port of Takoradi
- Shipment details
Enter the port of origin (POO) and the POD (port of destination). Also indicate whether you prefer a complete full container (FCL) or (LCL) Less Container Load. You can also choose the size of the container (20-ft, 40-ft of a high cube).
- Loading the freight
To start with, make sure your goods are tightly packaged. To prevent accidents, it is a good idea to use pallets. Your load also need to be labelled in the right way.
- Customs document
In the situations that you export goods to Takoradi (GHTKD), you should organize various export documents (for fast customs clearance): commercial invoice, packing declaration, export/import customs declaration, bill of lading, packing list. A Bill of Lading is a standard-form document provided by a carrier to a shipper to confirm the goods have been received in good order and that the load is prepared for shipping.
- Choose Incoterm
Incoterms are the terms used in international shipping to define the rights and obligations of both the buyer and seller. The Incoterm defines who is responsible for e.g transport, insurance and duty related matters. Popular incoterms are Ex Works (EXW), Delivery Duty Paid (DDP), Cost, Insurance Freight (CIF).
- Cargo Track & Trace
Use container track and trace to check where your shipment is right now. You can see in realtime when the vessel is departed from POL (Port of loading), arrived at the port of arrival (POD) and when the cargo was transported to the ultimate recipient.
Sea freight from Takoradi (GHTKD) to Rotterdam (NLRTM): select the container that suits the freight
You need to ship a container from port of Takoradi – (GH TKD) to port of Rotterdam – (NL RTM)? It is important to rent a suitable container. There are smaller and bigger boxes (twenty foot, forty foot) and different terms and conditions (FCL shipping or LCL shipping). We cooperate with several international shipping lines. There is a good connection to important cities in the area. In the next chapter you will find extensive information and advice about the most commonly seen options for sea freight. Also click further for information about High-Cube Container.
Explanation about a twenty foot container
20. ft. containers (also known as dry van) is the most preferred container size. They are relatively easy to ship, which ensures low handling costs. Ideal for the transportation of bulk goods and household goods and international movings. Some extra info: TEU is a standard measurement of volume in container shipping and means 1 20 Foot container.
- This box is often used for transporting cargo by sea.
- A 20-foot container is described in terms of size as: 6058mm x 2438mm x 2891mm.
- Usually, 9-11 pallets are able to fit in one TEU.
- You must take into account a maximum permitted weight of +/- 27.900 kilogram.
Information and benefits of 40 ft container
The 40 foot container is the big brother of the 20 foot model. Te 40ft is twice as big as the more standard 20ft. This makes it a very popular choice for transporting large loads by sea. Moreover, there are also special 40 foot containers such as the ‘high cube’ deal. This is one foot taller than a regular 40 ft. This way cargo can be stacked high.
- They are ideal for big shipments.
- The dimensions are as follows: 12.19m long x 2.44m wide x 2.59m high.
- The FEU can hold between 20 and 24 pallets.
- In terms of weight fits maximum: +/- 28.000 kilogram.
Ocean freight calculator: 40 / 20 Ft Sea Container Shipping Cost
Compare costs from popular international transport companies
When is a FCL container a good choice?
If your goods don’t fit in a small (shared) container, it is best to book a full container. Within the logistics sector this is called FCL (Full Container Load). You don’t have to share space with others. It is a popular transport method: It guarantees a faster transit time, less risk of damage during the logistics process and you pay lower price per unit. Pay attention to the disadvantages: it is not suitable for importers and exporters with lower shipping volume and insurance is more expensive. Do you want to send items from another port? Check also Antwerp to Takoradi (GHTKD) and Hamburg to Takoradi (GHTKD).
- FCL Means that means that the whole container is intended for one shipper.
- Suitable for as many small items on pallets as large goods.
- Economically viable when the shipment occupies 15 m3 or more.
- Available at: e.g. COSCO, CMA CGM, Maersk, ONE, MSC.
Details about Less than container (LCL)
If a large full container is unnecessary, aks our freight forwarders to possibilities for a shared container. You choose a LCL (Less Than Container Load) contract. With LCL transport, you share space with others. The advantages of this option include: you’re only charged for the space you are using, storage and insurance is advantageous and it is more flexible during peak-times. Notable: if you can fill more than half of a container, then you better go for FCL. The cost of the shipment is determined by the dimensions and weight of the cargo.
- What we mean by LCL is that your cargo will be placed into a partial container.
- For low-volume shipments of between 3 m3 & 13,5 m3.
- Freight costs are typically based on cargo volume.
- Can be booked via practical all shipping lines.
- Available at: e.g. POL, Wan Hai, Evergreen, HMM, ZIM.
Special containers for special freight
You can choose from many types of boxes for transporting your cargo. Shipping companies offer a suitable solution for every cargo type. The most popular version is of course the Dry van. There are also special possibilities for oil or petroleum, flour, coffee or cocoa or very exclusive stuff. Our specialist has placed a summary below. We also provide more information about sea transportation to Tughlakabad (INTKD), port of La Pallice (FRLPE), Onahama (JPONA) harbor and terminal Tartous (SYTTS).
- Bulk Containers: used in for transporting bulk cargo like wheat and grains.
- Flat Rack Containers: the walls allows for the loading of cargo from the top and/or sides.
- Hard-Top Containers: the latter has a removable roof due to which the door header can be pivoted outside.
- High-Cube Containers: ideal when a slightly larger volume capacity is needed.
- Insulated Containers: maintains the initial temperature and protects the interior from exterior conditions.
- Open-Top Containers: are able to accommodate much larger objects.
- Palletwide Containers: the ideal type for transporting many euro pallets.
- Refrigerated Containers: reefers maintain a stable temperature inside.
- Tank Containers: ideal for transport and distribution of bulk liquids.
- Ventilated Containers: suitable for goods that evaporate a lot of condensation.
Kind of load: which items do you want to transport by sea?
Shipping stuff by sea from Rotterdam (NLRTM) to Takoradi (GHTKD) have all kinds of advantages: attractive rates, it is great for transporting bulky goods and it’s better for the environment than air freight. Popular types of ocean cargo imported via sea shipping includes: dry bulk, neo bulk, containerized, roll on/roll off, liquid bulk. Below we explain some goods/cargo.
- Car shipping: have your vehicle shipped to an international port.
- House Moving: advice and support in the field of relocation.
- Removals (Household Goods): have your household effects shipped to a new home.
- Liquid Bulk: e.g. chemicals, biofuels, diesel, hydrogen, gasoline, kerosene.
- Dry Bulk: iron ore, coal, grain but also plates, coils, salt, rods.
- Roll on Roll off (RORO): vessels designed to carry wheeled cargo.
- Breakbulk: cargo that is transported in bags, boxes, crates, drums or barrels.
- Retail & other: products like sports equipment, clothes, electronic goods, art and antiques, toys & furniture, drinks, shoes, food, fashion.
FAQ: current topics around international transport
Shipping a container from Rotterdam (NL) to Takoradi takes around 19 days. The total distance is approximately 4600 nautical miles (M). That is about 8519 kilometers. If you make a sea shipment, you have to take into account 2 important values (ETD and ETA). ETD provides information on the date and time the ship will leave the seaport. ETA It is the date and time that the vessel has been scheduled to arrive into port. Shipping time varies from case to case and depends on factors such as: draft and speed, weather and type of shipment.
Shipping rates from Rotterdam (Netherlands) to Takoradi (Ghana) are slightly above average. The total costs are determined by various ingredients such as container size, season and incoterms. Fill out our form for a clear quote and estimated shipping time.
When you send goods to Takoradi, then customs clearance is an important step. The following documents are important: Commercial Invoice, Certificate of Origin, Bill of Lading, Letter of Credit, Import/export Licenses, Packing List. If you are not sure whether you will be charged extra or not, please contact the customs of Ghana or view the website of the port/government (www.ghanaports.gov.gh/).
Incoterms describe who bears the responsibility, risk, and costs associated with a transaction. Common sea freight incoterms are FOB and CIF. Cost, Insurance and Freight (CIF) means the exporting party takes care of the costs of transporting the cargo to the port of origin. Terms of Free on Board (FOB): the selling party is fully liable for the freight until all cargo is on the ship. In addition, there are other Incoterms 2000 like e.g. Carriage Paid To (CPT), Free Carrier (FCA), Ex Works (EXW), Free Alongside Ship (FAS) + Delivered At Place (DAP), Carriage and Insurance Paid To (CIP), Cost and Freight (CFR).